A fluffy, bubbly, creamy, delicious and nutritious version of a classic dessert recipe.
And no avocado in sight!
1 cup or about 1 punnet chopped fresh strawberries (organic is best)
1 cup frozen pure coconut milk or cream ice cubes
2 tbsp pure beef gelatin powder (buy here)
1/2 cup filtered/spring water
1/2 cup extra water boiled
2-3 tbsp raw honey or stevia powder to taste (for a zero-sugar option)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla (paste, bean, extract, powder)
Garnish with a sprinkle of desiccated coconut and/or cacao nibs, or a fanned out sliced whole strawberry
Handy items to have
Ice cube tray
1. Pour water into the saucepan and place on the stove top without heat on
2. Gently sprinkle the gelatin powder evenly over the surface of the water to 'bloom' the gelatin (i.e. soften it)
3. Turn the heat on and whisk constantly until all granules are dissolved and the liquid starts to bubble (it needs to be hot for this recipe to work)
4. Place coconut milk/cream ice cubes into the blender along with the strawberries, honey and vanilla
5. Pour the gelatin mixture in and blitz on high until no lumps of coconut or strawberry remain
Have the extra boiled water on hand to add into the blender if the mixture is too thick to move. Pour little bit by little bit in, if you add too much it'll become too runny and diluted, causing the end result to have a water jelly layer on the bottom.
6. Quickly pour the blended mixture into serving dishes then place in the fridge for just a few minutes to finish setting
The technique of blending on high-speed hot gelatin liquid with frozen liquid creates air bubbles that set instantly. Hence, mousse!
Watch the video above for a more comprehensive explanation and for extra tips!