Family-Friendly Chicken Curry + Cauli Rice
4 organic chicken thighs or 2 breasts, chopped
1 400g tin 100% pure coconut milk
1 large brown onion, chopped
2 carrots, cut into small pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger (or more if you like), minced
2 fresh organic tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp organic mild curry powder (or 'medium' if you prefer it spicier)
1 tbsp coconut amino (leave out for the Primal Reboot)
Himalayan salt, pepper to taste
Good cooking fat (ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, animal fat etc.)
1/2 cup bone broth and/or water
1/2 head fresh cauliflower, grated (to make 'rice')
Optional: Chili if you like heat, paprika, fresh coriander leaves for flavour and garnish, other herbs
and spices of choice, spinach leaves, celery, fresh lemongrass, 2 tsp turmeric powder
Grater or food processor for the cauliflower 'rice'
2 x large cooking spoons
OR: add the curry ingredients to a slow cooker and cook all day or overnight on low. Another time, or if you have two slow cookers like I do, add the grated cauli and cook on low for 3-4 hours. If you make a large batch of the rice and store away in the freezer you'll always have some to thaw, heat and serve!
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan on low, add onions and allow to cook gently
2. Add garlic and chicken and slowly increase the temp but watching onion and garlic don’t burn
3. Add carrot to the saucepan along with the spices, lemongrass (if you have some), any other herbs, salt, pepper, tomato, amino, broth/water and coconut milk to the saucepan and reduce heat to a gentle simmer
4. Once all ingredients are cooked through, the carrot is soft and the liquid has reduced slightly, remove the piece of lemongrass
5. While the curry cooks bring a large fry pan to a very low heat on the stove and add grated cauliflower. Stir often with a large spoon to prevent burning. No water or oil is needed for this, just a very low temp on the stove.
Alternatively, place the grated cauli in the slow cooker a few hours earlier than the time you plan to start making dinner.
6. Serve by spooning the curry mixture over a flattened heap of cauliflower or white rice on a plate. Garnish with coriander leaves
Free from: gluten / grains / dairy / nuts / egg / seeds / refined sugar / legumes
The all-ages-and-any-time-of-year flavour of this curry comes from the organic curry powder! Using a mild powder allows for adding heat from other spices if desired, or leaving as is making it suitable for kids.
By using pure + organic flavours maximum flavour is ensured.