Golden Chicken Nuggets + No Nasties Tomato Sauce
250g free-range chicken thighs and breasts (combination of both)
1/4 cup organic green banana flour (we get the Macro Woolies packet)
Healthy oil for pan (coconut, avocado, rendered animal fat, ghee)
Mineral salt, pepper to taste
Optional: 1/2 tsp garlic powder, dried herbs and spice powders
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 organic tomato, finely diced
1/2 cup organic tomato paste
1 tbsp Mingle seasoning ('all purpose' or 'smokey' or a combo of each)
1 tbsp coconut amino
2 tbsp bone broth or water
Himalayan salt, pepper to taste
Oil/fat to cook onion in
Optional: raw honey or pumpkin puree to sweeten
1. Roughly chop chicken pieces, and desired flavours then blend in a food processor until only very small chunks remain and it’s close to ‘mince’ texture.
2. In a large, flat container add the flour, salt and pepper. Stir to combine then wearing food-grade plastic gloves, pick up about a tablespoon of the chicken mixture, shape with your hands then place in the flour mixture and turn to evenly coat. 3. Shake off excess flour. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture
4. Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick frypan on the stove at medium-high temp
5. Place nuggets in the pan, turning each over once one side is coated with oil, so the other side is coated. If the pan isn’t completely flat with a rise in the centre, that’s ok. As long as each side of each nugget is coated with some oil they’ll cook fine in the centre without the majority of oil touching them. Too much oil under the nuggets can prevent the surface crisping up and cause them to become soggy, so a dry-ish area on the pan is ideal!
The nuggets won’t take long to cook through. Once cooked place them on a plate to serve, or paper towel for a minute or so if they’re too oily.
1. Place the oil and onion into a medium saucepan on the stove at low-medium temp and cook until onion is translucent
2. Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer until it reduces to desired consistency
3. Allow the sauce to cool then use a stick blender (or pour into a regular blender) to blitz and remove some or all of the onion and tomato chunks
4. Serve alongside nuggets in a dipping bowl or pour into a container to store in the fridge. This recipe makes a lot more sauce than needed for the nuggets recipe, so you can freeze batches of it so you always have some to thaw and use.
These are great for kids parties, school lunchboxes, work snacks, easy dinners... they're very versatile and can be made in bulk to freeze and grab to defrost when needed!
Free from: Gluten / Grains / Dairy / Refined sugars / Soy / Legumes / Eggs / Nuts / Seeds
Green banana flour benefits: Prebiotics help create a healthy balance of gut bacteria, keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
Did you make and like this recipe?
Or other recipes of ours?
Let us know! Please pop a 5-star review on our Google page!